Raynard Cook dead and obitaury – Atlanta Judge Shot In The Back By Her Own Son

In the 1990s, the upscale Atlanta suburban neighborhood of Cascade Heights became an address associated with power, comfort and prestige.

But on October 16, 1996, a shocking crime shocked the community. “Called 911,” Clint Rucker, a former executive district attorney in Fulton County, Georgia, told “The Real Murder in Atlanta,” which airs Sunday, Aug. 7 on Oxygen. “Neighbors next door reported that a young man named Leonard Cook came home from school and found his mother’s body in a pool of blood in the house.”

The victim, Superior Court Judge Josephine Holmes Cook, 49, has died, former Fulton County police chief Gary Styles said.

At home, blood was found on the doorway and down the stairs leading to her bedroom. Judge Cook, wearing a “Re-elected Judge Cook” T-shirt, is lying in a pool of blood downstairs.

Cook is known for his faith, dedication and ambition. She recently lost her re-election bench seat, and some have speculated that the cause of death was suicide. However, the medical examiner determined that Cook had been shot once in the back of his right shoulder and immediately dismissed the idea.

A search of Cook’s home revealed a 0.9mm projectile and a 0.9mm empty brass casing. Investigators also observed blood on the keypad of the phone upstairs, which had been disconnected from the wall.

“She tried to drag herself downstairs to make a call on the phone downstairs, and she bled to death,” said Rhonda Cook, a former reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It was a slow death.”

Detectives look for clues and motives. Was the brutal killing connected to the case Cook tried? Is it a professional strike? Or something personal?

Authorities observed that the door to 17-year-old Raynard Cook’s room was forcibly opened and the area was looted. Officers found a shoebox in the room containing individually wrapped sacks of marijuana and a large sum of cash.

Investigators spoke with Leonard, who outlined his daytime activities. He leaves for school at 7 a.m. and football practice from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Then he returned home and found his mother’s body, so he rushed to a neighbor’s house. Leonard admitted he sold drugs to friends for pocket money.

They learned that Cook and her son, who attended Woodward College, a prestigious private high school, had a difficult relationship. But detectives spoke to students at the school, who confirmed that Leonard was at the school all day.

Officials turned their attention to Cook’s work in the justice system as a possible motivation. A thorough investigation along the line, including crime scene fingerprints and DNA evidence led to a dead end.

Investigators then questioned the friend to determine whether Cook expressed concern before her death. A colleague shared with them that Cook had said she was worried about her son. “

“She’s worried he’s going to go out and do something stupid,” friend Sandra Mars-Robinson said, adding that’s because it seems to be becoming “his model”.

The case took a sudden turn when neighbors were asked to corroborate Renard’s account. He told detectives that when he found his mother in a pool of blood, he held her in his arms. However, the neighbour said she had the teen sit on her white sofa when he came in. “

“She said, ‘If I saw a drop of blood, he wouldn’t be sitting on my couch,'” Rooker told the producers. “So we know Leonard is lying.”

Detectives focus on the murder weapon. They spoke with students at Woodward College, one of whom told them that Leonard had paid $150 for a gun, a Glock 9mm, two weeks before his mother was shot. This matches the type of gun used to kill the judge.

Due to a problem with the Glock’s trigger mechanism, Raynard took it to a gun shop. When asked by authorities about the gun, Reynard said he threw it away because it was faulty.

A family member then told detectives that Renard claimed a masked man had shot his mother with a gun pointed at him.

Still, Leonard was arrested. He was charged with malicious murder, felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm.

A year and a half after his arrest, Raynard Cook’s trial began on March 20, 1998.

The prosecution’s position is that Reynard murdered his own mother in rebellion and rage. Judge Cook found marijuana and his drug dealing sparked a string of deadly events. They concluded that Leonard shot and killed his mother, watching as she struggled to call 911, dragged herself downstairs, and bled to death. Then he went to school.

Meanwhile, the defense played down tensions between Leonard and his mother, according to the Atlanta Constitution.

After the two sides rested, the jury deliberated. When the panel didn’t make a ruling within 20 hours, both sides were concerned, so they sat down to seal the deal.

In exchange for his public admission of guilt, prosecutors will reduce the charge to manslaughter, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. They sweetened the deal further: According to Rucker, if he agreed to counseling, he would be in jail for less than a year.

Leonard’s family forced him not to plead guilty, and he acquiesced.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *